I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day. I want to record it here because I feel like it represents well the message that we are trying to spread.
We’ve got a band meeting tomorrow if you want to come over and sit on our couches with us.
I’m tempted…but only if I’m not interrupting the silence.
We could use you, since the silence won’t be getting interrupted by music.
What? Isn’t that what bands do? Make music?
BANDS do that. We’re a movement; a social force; we’re pure energy in its corporeal form. You might want to read the band manifesto again.
I’ve read it and commented on it. But I assumed that music was the means through which you intended to convey your message.
One of the Western bourgeois assumptions that we are trying to dismantle is the notion that music requires sound. Our music is by the people and for the people, particularly the voiceless masses, repressed by modern conventions of sensory perception.
Wow, that’s pretty ambitious. I guess it doesn’t matter then if none of you can tune a guitar. You don’t even need instruments!
That’s the best part about making music in a postpostmodern world—nothing is really necessary.
This conversation is representative of the struggle we face, but we assume it willingly and with cheerful hearts, knowing that the revolution isn’t coming—it’s already here.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dismantling Western bourgeois assumptions is one of my favorite pastimes.
ReplyDelete